Wednesday 24 August 2016

Week 5 Features


This week's tutorial and exercises gave us opportunities to utilise and familiarize ourselves with other basic Features in Solidworks.
  • Such as revolve, loft, sweep, Linear pattern, Fillets.
  • Appreciate some of the shortcuts and capabilities available in Solidworks.
  • Understand that there are more than one method of producing a solid model in Solidworks


  • Exercise 5.1a:   The Stepped Shaft








     Creating the stepped shaft, I used the Front Plane. Sketched half of the profile and used the Revolved Boss/Base feature to revolve the profile around the x-axis to form a solid.


    Once the solid model is made, by using the Fillet feature I created 2 fillets. I selected the necessary edge and added a radius in.

    Exercise 5.1B gave us another way of creating the stepped shaft. Sketching in the complete half profile (with fillets) in the drawing and then revolving around the x-axis.

     
    To conclude the two exercises above, it shows that you could add features as a sketched entity or you can add it as a feature later. Which of course gives you the same result.






    Exercise 5.2 was to create a 120 mm diameter sphere. To create the sphere, I had sketched a semi circle using the Arc tool and revolving around the y-axis using the Revolved Boss/Base feature.





    Exercise 5.3

    I used numerous features to create the V-grooved Pulley.
    First I sketched a quarter of the cross-section of the pulley.
    Using the Mirror entity tool to reflect on the y-axis to make the top half of the cross-sectioned profile. I then used the Revolved Boss/base feature to revolve the profile around the x-axis to form the solid model.



    I then sketched on the centre face or the hub face to create an Extrude Cut through all.



    And the finished product as shown below with the material set to Cast Carbon Steel.




    Exercise 5.4  Adding bolt holes to the Steel Beam created in exercise 4.4


    I sketched a single hole with the given dimensions on the face of the beam. Then I used the Linear Pattern tool to create the rest of the holes. Using the Mirror entity tool to reflect the pattern on the other end of the steel beam using the midpoint(y-axis)
    .





    Exercise 5.5  Creating a 300mm hacksaw blade.

    Using the Slot tool to create my sketch then used the Extrude Boss/Base to create the blank solid. I sketched one blade teeth on the face of the blank solid and Extrude Cut. I then used the Linear Pattern feature to patterned the saw blade teeth cut 300x.



     


    Exercise 5.6 Using the Loft feature.



    To create the solid model above we had to create two planes using the Reference Geometry feature. In this feature you are able to set the distance between planes. We were able to sketch a square profile on the Top Plane and a circular profile on a second plane(renamed as the circle plane). 
    This enabled us to use the Loft feature to create a solid between two sketched profiles. I then added a extrude cut to the face of the lofted solid.



    Exercise 5.7 Swept Boss feature

    In this exercise we were to use perpendicular planes to create a sweep.
    Here I used the top plane to sketch the profile of the sweep. Then I used the front plane to draw the profile of what I would like to sweep. Instead of drawing 2 separate circles to create the thickness of the profile to be swept, I used the Thickness options tab in the Swept boss/base feature.









    
    



    


    
    
    

    No comments:

    Post a Comment